Case Study | Globacom
Building the Next Generation Network
GLO entered the Nigerian telecoms industry as the first indigenous telecom operator, and ever since its launch in 2003, it has soared high in its aspiration to build Africa’s biggest and best telecommunications network. It has an estimate of over 34 million subscribers (April 2016) of which 26 million are internet subscribers.
Before partnering with Webcoupers, Globacom’s marketing strategy was dominantly based on offline media platforms. Our goal was to expand Glo’s reach by optimising online media channels in reaching out to an internet savvy audience, and increasing its data subscribers.
Thriving in the Digital Landscape
Our approach was pretty simple, if your audience is on the internet, you meet them on the internet. GLO would have to go “digital”, in deploying its marketing campaigns and reaching its goal of being the preferred internet network. Having recognised importance of reaching out to a largely mobile audience, GLO set out to put its weight behind internet advertising. Today, there are about 182 million internet subscribers in Nigeria. Consumers are on their mobile phones and devices reading, chatting, gaming, researching and doing so much more!
Glo Records Fastest Growing Internet Subscribers in Nigeria
In March 2016, Globacom emerged the fastest growing telecoms operator in Nigeria as regards internet subscriptions, having gained 80% of new internet users. This was a fallout of a trend that started in the last quarter of 2015.The telecommunications industry report for the first quarter of 2016 shows that Globacom has strengthened its position as Nigeria’s preferred network for new data subscribers.
In the report covering the first three months of the year just released by industry regulator, Globacom recorded an addition of over 1 million new internet subscribers on its network during this period representing 80% of the total number of new customers who subscribed to internet services out of the four major telecom operators in the first quarter of this year.
GLO is a privately owned telecommunications carrier that started operations on 29 August 2003. With headquarters in Lagos, Glo currently operates in four countries in West Africa, namely Nigeria, Republic of Benin, Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire.
- Optimise online advertising platforms and consequently achieve tangible and measurable growth.
- Connect with an internet savvy and vibrant audience.
- Build a successful foundation for increased online advertising.
- Initiated and continually tested Google ads campaigns
- Established leadership in online advertising by securing 60% share of Google impressions in the Google display network.
- For 2 consecutive quarters in 2015, Glo recorded the highest growth rate of new internet subscribers – out of the four major telecoms operators in Nigeria.
- In 2016, Glo maintains a clear lead by securing 80% of the total number of new internet subscribers in the first quarter of 2016
- 200% increase in site visits
- 507% increase in Alexa global ranking placing it as the top telecoms site in Nigeria
- Increased investment in digital media advertising